The founder and Creative Director of DwellStudio, Christiane Lemieux studied art history and fashion design before setting up shop in 1999. The Canadian native is inspired both by travel (most Canadians are; it’s so cold up there they’re always on the road in search of sun), literature, the art world, and anything and everything to do with design, from flea markets to estate sales, design magazines to reality television. Lemieux’s most important role — also an endless source of inspiration – is that of mom: to two kids and Jake, the big lumbering lab who commutes to the office with her every morning. Seeing the world through the eyes of her kids and attempting to balance adventures around the globe with stability at home has helped Lemieux refine and redefine what DwellStudio stands for — and though juggling the roles of parent, spouse (she happens to be married to her business partner Josh), and working woman is a challenge, it’s one she adores.
Here are the 5 things that I am dreaming about right this minute — in no particular order…
1. The Selby –- Todd Selby -– inspires me. With all the interesting magazines closing –- the original content on this site is fantastic. I love the use of illustration, the photography –- everything. I wish I was a fraction as cool as his subjects.
2. This sold out print called “Jamaica” by Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes from the great collection of Durham Press. Her use of color is amazing and he work is now in the collection at the MOMA.
3. Speaking of Jamaica, I just returned from the best family Thanksgiving vacation to Jamaica. We stayed at Round Hill. It was exceptional. The design and décor was chic, understated, the staff was lovely and It was such a the perfect foil to all of the hip hotels that have populated the planet. If I could return right this minute –- I would.
4. Snakes –- I am really feeling snakes right now. I love to comb flea markets for vintage snake jewelry. I have also found some great finds on 1st Dibs. Looks for these amazing creatures in our January home line.
5. I am in love with the new Spring 2010 Dries Van Noten collection. He has totally inspired me with his amazing mix of global influences and modern mixing of traditional fabrics.