Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last 16 years, chances are you’ve spotted, picked up, or have a copy (or 20) of Dwell magazine in your house. Since 2000, design lovers have been staring longingly at the pages dreaming of one day living in one of the houses that’s beautifully showcased on its pages and we have its founder and board chair Lara Deam to thank for that. Her Dwell journey began when she moved to Mill Valley, California and began a renovation in 1994 after purchasing a home. That inspired her to create a platform for design professionals and design lovers alike that focused on architecture and design. Over the years, Deam has spearheaded its expansion from a magazine and media brand to a technology company on the rise with a collaborative platform on web and iOS and even bigger plans for the future. In this week’s Friday Five, Deam shares her eclectic mix of favorite things.
1. Togetherness and Optimism – Super inspired by Hillary Clinton and her reminder that when one person succeeds we all succeed. I am hoping this can be an optimistic time!
2. Mill Valley – I’ve lived here for 22 years in the same spot. While my love of Mt Tam never wavers, sometimes my love for Mill Valley can. Fortunately now we have some incredible newcomers with a desire to think radically and with that 30-something year-old optimism (or is it a millennial thing?) Favorite store: MINT.
3. Midwest Summer – The midwest is home for Chris and me. Mostly we are in Saugatuck, Michigan which is where half of Chris’s heart lives all year long. A really special spot with really special friends. And the best produce!
4. The Bourellec’s Instagram feed – Everything Erwan and Ronan Bourellec do is right, rational, and poetic. So not surprisingly they have a talent too for sketching. Sort of an obsession actually. Lucky us!
5. DJ Shadow – Mill Valley friend. I’ve known Josh a long time and know the level of commitment he puts into his craft. He killed it with this new album. So happy for him.