I am so excited about this new contest we’re hosting called “You Are How You Eat,” in collaboration with three of my favorite brands: Adobe, Alessi and Shapeways! We’ve cooked up (pun intended!) a grand prize package that I’m envious of: one lucky winner will get $1,000, 1 year of Adobe’s Creative Cloud, $200 of credit to Shapeways so you can 3D print your design, and your work published on Design Milk. Read the info below on how to create your design and enter:
Historically, we’ve used some sort of way to shovel food into our mouths, whether it be chopsticks, a fork, knife or spoon… and, for the most part, these products have always looked and acted the same way. Design Milk, Adobe, Alessi and Shapeways have partnered up on a design contest called “You Are How You Eat” that calls for designers to reimagine, reinvent and recreate the utensils we use to eat. This isn’t a design contest that focuses on the future of eating or changing how we eat, it’s about considering the current food we’re eating and making new products we can use to better, more efficiently, and even more beautifully enjoy our food. In other words, how can we improve on an existing design or create something entirely new that serves the same purpose. Show us!
Utensils are defined as: Forks, spoons, knives, chopsticks or a hybrid or reinvention of them. Something used to put food into the mouth.
Your design must:
– Be a completed design product concept (using the Adobe template will be very helpful but it’s not mandatory and will not affect your chances of winning);
– Be designed for the average adult male and female consumers in any country, who eat food using a utensil;
– Demonstrate an innovative approach to eating;
– Demonstrate your abilities as both a designer and communicator to convey new ideas through one image, title and description.
The judges are Winston Hendrickson of Adobe, Alberto Alessi of Alessi, Lauren Slowik of Shapeways. The judges will be looking for innovation, creativity, functionality, completeness of design, and adherence to creative brief. Meet the judges here.
All entrants must be over the age of 18 – there is no location restriction. You may enter more than once, but you must enter a different design with each entry. We do not accept entries via mail.
GRAND PRIZE: $1,000 cash courtesy of Alessi, 1 year of Adobe’s Creative Cloud, $200 of credit to Shapeways so you can 3D print your design*, and your design prominently included in a feature on Design Milk
Two (2) Runners up: 1 year of Adobe’s Creative Cloud, $100 of credit to Shapeways so you can 3D print your design*, and your design included in a feature on Design Milk
*Please note that designs printed by Shapeways will not be food safe.
Entries accepted: September 29, 2014 – October 19, 2014 (12 midnight PT)
Judges choose finalists: October 20, 2014 – October 26, 2014
Public voting: October 27, 2014 – November 2, 2014 (12 midnight PT)
Winners announced: On or before November 5, 2014
The public will vote in the final round and will choose the winners. Voting is open to all, but you can only vote once per IP address.
Before you begin designing, have you:
– Reviewed the contest information?
– Downloaded the contest packet with template(s) and Tips & Tricks article? (using the template is optional)
– Read the official rules?
Before you upload your design, have you:
– Created a final product that meets the design and judging criteria?
– Created a name and description for your design?
– Created a low-res JPG for judging to be used in online voting?
Have fun and be creative! Good luck!